After more then-50 days of alleged suicide by Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has finally taken over the probe from Bihar police, as a Central notification was issued on Wednesday. “Union of India has in principle accepted the request by Bihar to have a CBI probe,” Solicitor-General Tushar Mehta told the Supreme Court, during hearing of a plea by Rajput’s girlfriend, actor Rhea Chakraborty, to transfer the case registered by his family in Patna, Bihar, to Mumbai.
A Special Investigation Team (SIT) of the CBI has been assigned the case. The premier investigating agency also registered an FIR on Thursday, based on the one registered by Bihar police in Patna and names Rhea Chakraborty, her parents, her brother apart from two others for suspected offences of criminal conspiracy, abetment of suicide, wrongful restraint, wrongful confinement, theft, criminal breach of trust, cheating and criminal intimidation.
“The investigation of FIR No. 241/2020 dated 25.07.2020 registered u/s 341, 342, 380, 406, 420, 306, 506, 120B IPC, PS- Rajiv Nagar, District-Patna, related to death of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput has been transferred to Central Bureau of Investigation for investigation,” the CBI FIR says. Interestingly, Rhea Chakraborty, who has denied all charges, had also asked for a CBI probe last month. Breaking her silence last week, the actor said tearfully in a video released by her lawyers: “Truth shall prevail”.
At this point, three agencies – the Mumbai Police, the Enforcement Directorate and the CBI – have been tasked with investigating Sushant Singh Rajput’s death and events leading up to it.
Bollywood star Sushant Singh Rajput was found dead in under mysterious circumstances his Mumbai apartment on June 14. During the early investigation the Mumbai Police said it was suicide as the actor was allegedly suffering from depression.